Monday, April 7, 2014

Is Google making us stupid?


Is Google Making Us Stupid? By: Nicholas Carr

  This article talks about what the author believes the effects of Google and the Internet is having on society. The author strongly feels as though the Internet is changing his way of thinking. People are reading less books because they do not have the same sustained amount of concentration. They want their information fast and as easy as possible. He states that the web is hurting people's focus. Obviously the Internet has some major advantages, but Carr believes it also comes with a price. 
  Personally I agree with a lot of Carr’s points. I feel similar in that it has turned into an inconvenience to read books anymore. There are so many other ways to retain information or get a story in the world today that books have become less popular. I wouldn’t say that Google is making us stupid, but it definitely is worth the thought. 


3 comments:

  1. I agree with some of Carr's points also. The internet has become the go to place to find information these days. I don't think Google is making us stupid, but I do feel like the internet is taking over and that books and other resources have lots of good information we can benefit from.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not entirely sure if i agree with either of you guys. personally I think Google is making us stupid. when you read a book you are more likely to intake the information. When reading something online you just skim it you don't get the full effect of knowing what you just read. Not many people can actually sit down and read a real paper book for a while. I think people are too dependent on Google. We use Google for almost everything. "OH, no i don't know how to get the store, let me Google the directions on my smart phone." No pull out a map and follow the map. People rely on Google WAY too much, you should be able to know how to figure out the information by yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Google is filling you with artificial information that you don't need to know, or information you should learn yourself.

      Delete